Eureka, I found it
This weekend I went with two visiting MBA interns to Eureka Springs. It's a resort town in Arkansas. We went into the Grand Central Hotel and the owner told us some interesting stories about the place. Apparently, the town used to have awful mud slides. After the last one (I would guess 100+ years ago), the city rebuilt itself higher up. So, the former second floors of building, became the ground level floors. The hotel just started creating a basement level this year in their building and through the renovations found the old first floor of the building, complete with old windows and everything. The windows now look out into these tunnels that connect the entire city. The creation of these tunnels is unknown, but I like to think it had something to do with Prohibition, gangsters, the Underground Railroad, or some other interesting part of history.
The whole town was really cute and actually quite European in feel. Of course, I am basing the European thing on Samantha Brown's Passport to Europe on the Travel Channel.
Another oddity about Eureka Springs is that people obviously smoke inside their shops. That was strange.
We also saw an old fashioned candy making machine. That was cool.
Finally, I do live in the Bible Belt, so though we did not see it, the lady at the tourism center pointed out that there was a giant statue of Jesus that we could go see. Ah, the South.

2 Comments:
Where are the pictures, Wojo?
I'm getting to it!!! ;)
Gotta get over my cold first. Then, I'll look for the USB thingy-ma-bobber. (Yes, that is the official spelling)
Post a Comment
<< Home